Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Shadow Box Mania

Hello!
I absolutely adore 3D cards. They are beautiful and intricate. Lovely layered roses and ribbons and leaves. The downside is mailing these mamma jammas. Heck, mailing aside, just putting them up on display can be a recipe for damage and disaster. You want to preserve them, especially after all the work you put into making them.
At least, that was my thought process in my following creations.
What if, after putting all that work into a card (or, you know, whatever) you have a pretty way to not only display them, but preserve them? I looked at shadowboxes, and even the ones from Michaels that you decorate and paint yourself seem to be quite pricey.
So....how hard WOULD it be to try to create one myself?
First I thought I could use box lids- but then I figured, we'd be stuck with the box bottoms.
And what am I gunna do with all those? Then the whole cost of an entire box just for the lid? Not very economical....
So really- how hard would it be to create one from scratch? What materials would I possibly use?
Wood and glass- too expensive (as you can tell, I'm all about cost effectiveness. Not to mention- hard to work with and more fragile than what I have in mind.)
I have made book covers and boxes before in my previous artsy fartsy endevours, so using the basic book cover technique, I applied it to creating my own shadow boxes with chipboard and acetate. Easy supplies to pick up at any craft store or even through Stampin' Up! I get their really high quality window sheets and before they discontinued them, the coaster board sheets. Oh how I loved them! Now, alas, they are gone. They were thin enough to cut with a paper trimmer but still sturdy enough to create these 3D items. But was not to be, I bought a bunch when they were on the retired list last year, but my stash has dwindled and I went back to chipboard sheets. Actual thick chipboard, not the chipboard sheets for die cutters- very thin will not work!
 I really do love these. I got to do that sponging background technique that has been my 'go to' lately. I used it to build up a layered scene, trying the telescope technique. That one is easy and fun, you just make windows with layering dies and you can add elements to make it look like a window into a scene. These shadowboxes are featuring princes and princesses from the Happily Ever After set from the Greeting Farm. The castle is from that set as well and make a wonderful backdrop on the background. Add some die cut leaves and branches, 3D roses and pearls.

One thing that I love to do, is add a mini hanging sign to personalize these little keepsakes. Great for baby names or kids' rooms or even personalized decor.





Close up!
 I die cut the letters and add them on layered pieces and add some more roses and pearls to finish it off. I love this pink damask DSP I found - absolutely perfect!


 Using some white bark DSP for these. Love the blue and teal combo. Then daisies and diamonds and Dazzling Details finish it all off with a bit of sparkle.

I hope this has inspired you to think outside (inside?) the box!

~Brandie~

No comments: