Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Little Fairy

Happy Tuesday!
Monday's ugly sister, lol.
I never minded Tuesdays- one of my favorite shows, Face Off, is on on Tuesday nights as is Ink Master. I have a soft spot for competition shows, especially ones that involve art and creativity. They usually go on the back ground as I'm creating at my desk then as the contestants are all frantic finishing their pieces I feel pushed to finish my own work, lol.
Very motivating.

So I had an order a few months ago for some children birthday cards. A friend of mine who loves my work, just wanted a variety of boy and girl birthday cards to have on hand for when a kid's party popped up. And if you have kids, you know how out of the blue a birthday party invite can be, especially on a Friday night when  you're pulling everything out of the backpack (or Sunday evening and  you realize you missed the party and you feel horrible!) So makes life a little easier when you have a card ready to go.

I do girly more than I do boyish (which isn't really fair as I have 2 of each), but I myself am a girly girl so I tend to lean towards pinks and flowers and glitter as go-tos in my creations.

So going back to The Greeting Farm and their Magical Bean set, I used this little darling to create a simple layered card.

I have been been trying unique cuts and folds for cards lately, trying to make a card unique and interesting without adding too much bulk and additional embellishments. As beautiful as those kinds of cards are, the cost to create them was outweighing the amount I charged.

Trying to go basic without being boring I tried to just layer various, simple pieces together and I really enjoy how it all came together. Using my Stampin' Up Brick Wall embossing folder, I embossed a sheet of Crumb Cake, then stamped a swirled floral image on it and sponged Crumb Cake ink over it for a wonderfully distressed textured feel that created a great base for the Magical Bean Fairy. Then Flirty Flamingo and Rich Razzleberry mats layered with Stampin' Dimensionals allowed me to have a vanilla ribbon peek underneath.

I dusted off the old Top Note Die and cut the Pink Pirouette die in half, letting a piece of it peek behind the layers.
Then using the same colors and my Itty Bitty SU! punches and Petite Petal punch, I created a fun blast of petals in the corner. Finally I finished the image off with a sentiment from the retired Remembering Your Birthday stamp set.
I loved putting the sentiment on its side as opposed to across in the traditional way. I feel that it gave my card more of an interesting design.

I think what I enjoyed most about creating this card was just going out of my comfort zone. I went with a traditional A2 tent fold, and was able to make something interesting out of it.

I hope it all inspired you to think out of your own creative boxes. Stay tuned for more layering and dimensional cards that are deceptively quick and easy, but will look like it took you ages to complete.

~Brandie~

No comments: