Thursday, March 1, 2012

Creating Backgrounds

Hi guys!
One of my favourite things to do when I am crafting is creating my own background. There are some Designer Series Papers out there that I adore, but more often than not I like using my own stamp sets and colours and creating something unique that blends in with a particular project.

I made a few envelope pockets cards, and the tutorial can be found here on Splitcoast Stampers: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/crimpedenvelope/
They are pretty addictive I tell ya! I made a couple for the tradeshow last weekend as I wanted to donate a few Gift Certificates, but alas I had run out of the Stampin' Up! ones. I figured, being as they can't be used online, why not just make my own?
I made a crimped envelope card and gift box (tutorial found on Splitcoast Stampers as well, under Maria's Treat Box). I added some goodies from the Sale-A-Bration Flyer (on until March 31st), some pre-cut cardstock to make mini note cards out of, and some demonstrator incentive stamps with an ink spot. I love the colour combo, as it's out of my element. I am definetly a girly girl and enjoy using a lot of pinks and purples. For this I used Poppy Parade, Calypso Coral, Lucky Limeade and Pumpkin Pie. I thoroughly enjoyed the new ribbon from SAB by the way! It's thin and sheer and I am hoping SU! comes out with more of them in the new catalogue!
Anyways, custom backgrounds are so simple. I tend to use a trio of colours that compliment each other, you can also go monochromatic in your colour scheme, or even use as many colours as you want!
A few different ways to have a base (and I'd use a lighter colour for the base so it's not very over powering), is to use a Stampin' Around wheel, a background stamp, or a large image. I stamp on neutral backgrounds- like Very Vanilla or Whisper White. You could use a different colour, but keep in mind that it may alter different colours of inks if you are using different colour families.
Then I add a medium sized image in a bold colour. In the above image I used one of my older hostess stamp sets, from when I was a hostess years ago (before becoming a Stampin' Up! demo). Then I find a smaller image to stamp in a complimentary colour that will fill in larger holes and bring unity to the design.
You can do so much more with it, like adding more colours like I stated above, adding 3D elements, sparatically add bling with Rhinestones or dots of Dazzling Details etc. Make it your own!
So like I said, I got pretty addicted to making backgrounds, so I went out of my element a few times and tried different colour concepts with these other designs:
YAY Monkeys :) lol, I love me some monkeys- espeically trying to get away from all the darned girly flowers! Here's the Fox and Friend's Stamp Set from the 2011/2012 Idea Book and Catalogue. Item #117020 w 118565 c. Colours: Certainly Celery, Chocolate Chip, Bashful Blue (retired Stamp sets: Hostess Stamp set from 2009, Seeing Spots Stampin' Around Jumbo Wheel)

Of course a birthday card was in order :) I liked the colours more in my hand than I did on the card, I am on the fence about this one, but I DID enjoy adding and dangley element. This was Rich Razzleberry, Blushing Bride and Bashful Blue, using yet another retired Hostess Stamp Set (I'm getting more stamps that are current- no worries!) But it was fun using my Stampin' Write markers to colour n some different images, and then creating a tag for a sentiment instead of your basic way of doing it.
Then finally I had some fun doing this one. I used Flight of the Butterfly (a personal favourite set) 111564 in the Idea Book and Catalogue. And the sentiments are: Hello- Pennant Parade 122740 w 122742 c and "baby welcome to the world" from A Word for You 117032 w 120528 c. I used Melon Mambo, Pumpkin Pie and Daffodil Delight for my colour scheme here. Dot Dot Dot made the base of my background,115332 in the Idea Book and Catalogue. I especially loved using very thin ribbon and dangling some buttons for dimennsion. A lot of fun making these cards.

Well that's it for me- I hope I inspired you!

~Brandie~

No comments: