Sunday, February 9, 2020

What To Do When You Don't Have the Right Stamp

Long title I know, but effective.
I run a small card making business called The Paper Gift Boutique (follow me on Facebook!) There are times where I will get a request for a custom card and I need to be a wee bit creative. Like when I did the figure skating card for a customer, I wanted a skate with flowers pouring out of it. I don't have a skate stamp and couldn't find a digital stamp to download right away, so I found a free coloring page and just shrank it to fit a standard card size. It's not the first time I have done that for a card, and that's exactly what I did for today's fun request. I made the horrible mistake of NOT buying Kindred Stamp's Part of the Pride boxed set (now retired). I wanted to, and my husband (being oh so logical) said he didn't think I would use it much. He's true, I wouldn't use it for ME, but I would have definitely used it for my business.
I've learned for next time, but for this time I needed a certain "Pride"ful character with Hakuna Matata spirit. I downloaded a free coloring page (unsure from which page- I'll need to pay better attention next time), then I copied and pasted it onto a Microsoft word page and shrank it to what I felt would be an appropriate card size.
You do need to color carefully. I used my copics and my printer is a toner cartridge printer, not an ink cartridge and I don't know if that makes a difference. My toner doesn't spear the black ink when it's colored, but it does do a bit of smudging when I print out on my Whisper White cardstock.
That was the hard part.
Next I used some My Favorite Things dies to create a large window and the background builder stencils for grass and clouds. I also used some Altenew leaves stamps and dies from the Floral Art Stamp set and a leaf die from Spellbinders to surround the window and create a fun, jungle theme.
The phrase was one off of a digital card and was requested by my customer. I typed it out and printed it, then added some dots and swirls with a copic. Added some punched daisies and voila! She is done. The customer is happy and I do enjoy thinking out of the box for my creations.

Thanks so much for stopping by!
~Brandie~




No comments: