Thursday, March 26, 2020

Starlit Babies

Hey all,
Anyone see that Facebook meme going around- something about how they thought they would give the house a nice deep clean (or any other big project they were wanting to) if given the time, then self isolation proved that that was a lie?
Ya. That's me with crafting :D I was going to get soooo many cards and projects made.
Well, my kids are all older (save my 10 year old) so I don't have them under foot, but goodness did I ever over estimate my abilities. I haven't written nearly as much as I planned, didn't make as many projects as planned either- let alone deep clean anything or finish any of my books I got from the library before I self quarantined for a couple of weeks.
But let me tell you, I have mastered the art of mid afternoon naps, all the bad snacks and binge watching competition shows on Amazon Prime. Oh yea. I'm a master :D
On the non-lazy side, I have done a bit of business studying to improve my home based business and hanging out with my kids more. We've been doing a lot of board games and I've been getting my butt handed to me at Dominoes.
I did happen to get some stock done up. I was low on baby cards so I used these adorable images from the stamp set Look for Stars by Craftin' Desert Divas.
 With the first card here, I wanted it to be gender neutral and so that means soft yellows for me. I LOVED this star stencil that came with the now-retired Justice is Served Boxed set from Kindred Stamps. I used that and Mustard Seed Distress Oxide ink by Tim Holtz to create the star bursts in the background. I also used the Slider Surprise dies from My Favorite Things Stamps and instead of doing a traditional pop up card, I moved the layout horizontally. Add some glitter with wink of stella, stickles and glitter cardstock and we are good to go. The sentiments are also from MFT Stamps- Welcome, Baby. I did trim some of those sentiments down so I can use them in a more versatile way, which is great. MFT Stamps are photopolymer and easy to trim down without damaging the images. Each card today uses the same sentiments from Welcome, Baby and images from Look for Stars.
This second card was inspired by a card I saw on Pinterest called Fun Fold Card. I used some MFT Stamps Blueprints Dies to create the window and then some Lawn Fawn Stitched Clouds. The stars were from a Recollections punch and a star from a random die set (I believe it was one of the MFT Stamps tag sets). I love how it opened up and created this dimensional effect. The one thing I disliked, and you have to look really close, is that I inked the stars with distress ink and added some wink of stella, but for some reason it made some yellow smudges on the clouds.
Then the inner 'card' opens on the right instead of the left and has room for a sentiment and personal message.
Lastly,  (and actually the first baby card I made out of these sets), I have a different Fun Fold Card. I loved the colors- Daffodil Delight and Bermuda Bay from Stampin' Up! It's not a super light baby pallet that we are used to, and I think that's why I enjoy it. I also mucked up one of these cards by NOT knowing how to use my Wink of Stella and I gooped a bunch of the glitter paint on the moon. So I needed to cover it up because I made it WORSE by drawing over the lines of the image of the moon with a black pen to hide the extra glitter. It did not work. So extra stars. I loved how they peek through and I also love that in paper crafting. Any mistake can be re-worked and no one is the wiser. The circles used were from inverted scallop die from Crafting Desert Divas. Now, I've mentioned before that they are no longer in business, but there are other companies that do inverted scallops- and I believe Lawn Fawn has sets. Again with the fun fold you have that dimension and then the image and then the inner card for a sentiment.

Well that is it for me, for now. Back to creating. That and binge watching ;) I hope this inspires you all while in social distancing/isolation mode. Please stay healthy and safe!

~Brandie~

No comments: