Sunday, March 1, 2020

Catch Those Cards

Hey all! As I mentioned a few days ago, when I don't have a stamp set that works for a specific project, I find a coloring page and print it on white card stock. Whisper White works best for my toner printer. The black stays pretty much put and it works great for coloring with my copics. Though I think if I were going to do these again, I would use my Faber Castels pencil crayons (colored pencils for any US fans).
For today's cards I had a custom request, a birthday card idea AND some birthday invites all involving Pokemon. First thing, I definitely needed to do these as telescope cards. Having the top layer look like a Poke-ball and open up to reveal one of the creatures and then any sentiments was just genius to me. I used some layering circles from Spellbinders, which layered these perfectly to close up and look like a little Poke-ball. For the 2 cards that were going to customers, I used a bit of Crystal Effects on the center of the Poke-ball so it looked plastic. I was going to do that to the entire ball, but it did not work well. Big mess. A hint was all it needed.
The one card was for a new baby. Apparently the parents are huge Pokemon fans and nicknamed each baby with a Pokemon name instead of calling the baby 'it'. I guess they called the baby Mew so it was requested that this card hold a Mew. I added a bit of various 'sparkles' stamped images from different sets and then added some Stickles and Nuvo Drops.
I could have used a regular envelope, but I really wanted to have the card stand out. So I used my We R Memory Keepers Envelope Punch Board for a 5x5 envelope. I cut a circle in the center and added a bit of acetate for a window. Before I added the acetate, I created a grassy background, kind of like where you would find a Poke-ball!
The next one is for a friend who is a huge fan. I don't know her favorite Pokemon, but I THINK it's Eevee. I really enjoyed coloring this one and thought it came out really cute. I added an extra page for signatures as this is going to the work place where we can all sign it.
For the next batch, I just wanted them simple as they are invitations for my son who wanted a Pokemon themed party. It's actually where I started to get the idea for Poke-ball telescope cards. He wanted a mixed batch of the basic starter ones, so we've got a few Charmanders, two Bulbasaurs, 2 Pikachus and 2 Squirtles.
I used my My Favorite Things background stencils to make the clouds and grass for the invites and make it look like the little guys were standing outside. I had also downloaded a free Pokemon Font from Font Meme. It brought everything together. I loved setting the Pokemon on a black background to make it pop.
 I didn't bother with special envelopes for these as they were just going to a bunch of 4th graders. They were still a huge hit!
Well I hope you got inspired to think outside of the box again, especially if you have an idea and may not have the perfect stamp set. Just make sure it's a generic coloring page from one of their sites and not someone's personal artwork unless you have permission to use it.
 Pikachu was from: coloringtop.com
Bulbasaur was from: freepokemoncoloringpages.blogspot.com
Charmander was from: supercoloring.com
Squirtle was from: bigactivities.com
Eevee was from: naturecoloringpages.com
Mew was from: clipart.email

I hope you enjoyed!

~Brandie~

No comments: