Friday, March 13, 2020

All Shook Up

Hey there, welcome back!
Today I have got quite the classic beauty. These images come courtesy of "Golden Age" by Kindred Stamps. I have a custom request for a birthday card, and I happen to know the recipient. She enjoys old movies and musicals and everything else and he Golden Age of movies (and television... and music...) I saw a beautiful card on Kindred Stamp's website courtesy of Dina Kowal. She has a tutorial for her card on how she did a 'spotlight'. It was perfect for these golden age cuties. 
Now that I had the image completed, I really wanted a card to highlight it. I had gone through a few different card layouts and I knew I wanted something 3D to make the image pop. I couldn't really find anything, but I also knew I wanted to do a gate-fold type of card as I wanted the card to open like doors into a theater. 
After playing around with some scrap card-stock (anyone else do that? grab some card-stock that they think is a bit uglier and use it for playing around? Just me? okay then). The base of the card is a standard gate-fold, 8.5x5.5 scored at 2 and 1/8 on both sides. I tried playing around with and insert piece that was cut in the center as a frame. I first tried what people have done for those beautiful spinner cards, but being as this is gate-fold, that wasn't going to work. So I fiddled around for a bit. I then settled on this insert. I would make it a bit smaller next time so I could use a whole 8.5x11 sheet instead of 2. The inside is 5.25x9 and scored at 1, 2.5, 6.5 and 8. (the 1 inch score on both sides, I would trim down to .5 inches. They aren't needing to be that big. They are just pieces tucked under and adhered to the card base to allow the pop up to pop up). Now, I am unsure if cutting it smaller will work as I haven't played with the dimensions yet, so for this card it's the 9x5.25 piece.  
In between the center scores of the pop up, I trimmed a .5 inch border.
You could use a large die so long as the border isn't too small. I think the .5 inch border was a bit thin as when I closed the card the first time, it bent the border as it wasn't strong enough. I wound up cutting smaller pieces and adhering them to the back of the frame to stabilize it.
Being as I was going for a theater look on this card, I wanted to create a pulled curtain look. I found some old DSP in my stash (can't remember the company or even if it's paper I purchased or was gifted to me). I liked the Damask-ish look of the red paper. It was very old-theater-curtain style. I used my retired Stampin' Up! Top Note die and cut it in half to make it look like pulled back curtains. The 'rope' was from the tassel die from Stampin' Up!'s Celebrate Today (retired) set. I cut some pieces of Daffodil Delight and some copics to add highlights. The banner is a die from that same Celebrate Today set. The sentiments are from My Favorite Things Handwritten Happiness stamp set and embossed in gold. 
Lastly I wrapped a belly band around it with the same DSP. Using a die from the Eastern Beauty set from Stampin' Up!, I cut it in Whisper White and colored it in with copics and gold Stickles. Then to tie it all together I added a golden yellow tassel I made myself from some cross stick thread. 
I did add a birthday sentiment on the back so a person can write a personal message. Being as the card is thick, and not being mailed out, I used one of Stampin' Up!'s acetate box cards. They make great envelopes for thicker cards. Unsure how they'd mail or what the postage would be, but for personal giving it works just perfectly. I could decorate the envelope as well, and I think I just might.

Anyways, that's it for me tonight. I hope you enjoyed.

~Brandie~

No comments: