Thursday, June 25, 2020

Dysfunctional Space Family

Hey there! Welcome back :)
Father's Day came and went, but I hope everyone took the time to celebrate the awesome men in their lives. I am fortunate to have not only a loving husband and father to my own children, but a dad and step-dad in my life.
As it was stated before, we are a big family of nerds. Huge. My husband prides himself in 'neducating' (nerd-educating) our children. I am sure that's why he agreed to have kids in the first place, just to have someone to share his nerdiness with. I know I have given them shout outs before, but finding Kindred Stamps and their pop culture stamps, especially a certain space-themed movie that my husband is a huge fan of, was destiny.
Unfortunately, these guys from the "Galactic Adventures" sets are retired. I definitely get my use out of them with my family, and with my Scan n Cut I was able to stamp and cut and color a bunch out for these fun Father's Day shaker cards.
I started out with the characters and built the card around them. I did a basic A2 card base and cut a large frame out with some rectangle dies. I did a layer with the same rectangle window and then used some acetate and 3D adhesive strips from Stampin' Up! to create a shaker window. I wanted the window to be huge so I could have a fun, dynamic card front.
I wanted to create an inside that was showcased by the window but not over shadowing it. Kind of like one of those 3D glass layered paintings. The different elements by themselves are pretty, but together they are gorgeous. I used Tim Holtz distress oxide inks and blended them together for a galaxy feel. I then took some Frost White shimmer paint from Stampin' Up! and mixed it with water in a spritzer and sprayed over the blend. The cool thing was the water reacted to the ink, as it does, but then the shimmer paint added an extra element by creating some shimmer. Absolutely loved the effect. Then the card was finished off with the sentiments (printed with a Star Wars free font) and shimmer paper stars. The card has different layers with the star shakers, the characters, and then the galaxy background/inner card. I really love this card and it was perfect for any nerdy dads out there. I can't wait to use this technique with other ideas and occasions. I hope you are inspired!

~Brandie~

No comments: