Monday, April 2, 2018

Easter Blooms

Happy Easter Everyone!
What a beautiful and wonderful holiday :) Unfortunately for being in Northern Alberta, the weather isn't cooperating all that well. Winter hit back with a vengence and we've had another dump of snow (yes, snow) and temps dipping into -20 degrees celcius.

I am officially over it.

Thankfully the sun is peeking out and will melt all the snow with it. I am eager to see the spring blooms and colors and bright grass. I don't have much of a green thumb so I don't have a garden myself, I have tried my hand at it and it turns out I kill everything planted.
I think I'll create flowers that last out of paper. Less likely to over or under water them that way lol.
Despite the dismal snow covered ground outside, inside is full of bright spring colors and blooms. I wanted to do something special for my kiddos for Easter so I created flower pot favors with my famous homemade candies.
You can buy terra cotta planters from the dollar store for cheap. Mine were $2 CND for a pack of 2 that were about 3 inches in diameter. So not huge but perfect for creating what I wanted. They have smaller pots as well so you're not stuck with the size if you wanted to do something smaller and simpler. I painted them with acrylic paints and to do the sponging technique, I seriously used a bunched up piece of paper towel. Topped it off with ribbons and a paper flower(s).
The 'lids' are simpley paper. I got the Spellbinders layering circles sets and the largest of the scalloped circle was large enough to cover the top of the pot. My color scheme was Bermuda Bay and Soft Sky for the one and Powder Pink and Sweet Sugarplum for the other. The paint and ribbons I used correspond nicely. The flowers are from Tim Holtz Tattered Florals, where I used my stylus to form the paper and my copics to color blend them out. Finishing the center off with a simple pearl embellisment.
Back to the lids, the images are courtesy of Whimsy Stamps. "Bonnie" is the sweet bunny in the basket on the teal set. "Springtime" is the lovely bunny hanging from the tree branch. These are the artwork from Sylvia Zet with Wee Stamps (Whimsy Stamps). I adore her work and trust me when I say, you WILL be seeing more of her art featured on my page!

For those who were interested, the candies were molded into egg shaped thanks to a lovely silicone mold from Wilton and I wound up making: cream eggs, fudge, caramel and cookie dough truffle eggs for the kids.
For the record- they were a big hit :) As they get older it's really nice to do more than just the go-to candy basket. They appreciate the work that goes into the handmade and though they still get their Easter bunny and egg hunt- they were really stoked for something special from mom.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you all have a wonderful Easter holiday and were inspired by my little post.

~Brandie~