Thursday, August 2, 2012

Pretty Pennants

Hi!
After making so many rosette banners, I got an order for something using "upside down triangles" (non craft speak for pennants). I wasn't too sure how to make a banner out of them, for my beautiful photographer friend who needed them for her studio, and I don't have the die. She also wanted them BIG, so unfortunately the Stampin' Up die wouldn't work. It's gorgeous, I wants it! but it's not as big as she was looking for. I also didn't have much inspiration as I had never made them before (save the mini ones using the Pennant Parade stamp set and XL punch). I really didn't know where to start. As I searched Pinterest and Splitcoaststampers, I found some nice ones- but they weren't what I was looking for. So after a while of thinking, parusing the internet and prayer for inspiration I finally whipped up these:
 
She wanted an "It's a Boy" and "It's a Girl" banner for her studio for the new baby pics :) I really did enjoy making these after I was inspired. I cut basic triangles instead of specific pennant ones, and the using my Scalloped Border punch, created a bunch of scalloped strips and stratigicly placed them behind the triangles. Then I was stuck again :/ I didn't know how to punch up a pennant! After playing around with ink colours and stamps, I used a couple of retired SU! jumbo wheels and created a smaller Whisper White triangle and rolled the stamped image over them. Then I cut large scalloped circles and alternated the colours with the triangles. For the boys banner I used Pool Party, Lucky Limeade and Basic Grey. I love that combo (you know, you know) but the font I printed out really made it stand out that much more and works so well. I am in love with the boy's one! Then I got to make some more rosettes (YAY!) and layered them with scallops and a couple of Certainly Celery and Old Olive buttons from my collection. I strung some sheer thick ribbon through the back to connect each triangle and then added some strips of retired Whisper White grossgrain ribbon for a bit of flair. Here's a close- up of the boy's one: 



 The girl's banner I used Perfect Plum, Pretty in Pink and Basic Black. The colours went really well together, but the extra patterned paper I had laying around for the rosettes didn't really do it justice. I wasn't as happy with it. But it still had the same idea as the boys, and a more flirty font.
These were actually so much fun to make once I got the inspiration down pat. I definately can't wait to get a hold of the new products from the Stampin' Up! Occasions catalogue to create more of these for the upcoming holidays! So stay tuned and see what else we can do with these fabulous pennants!






~Brandie~

No comments: