Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween Fun!

For some reason blogger wouldn't let me save and publish yesterday, so here we go today.
Yesterday was so much fun! I tried my hand at making costumes for the kids for the first time ever. It was more expensive for Lexie's, but there was a lot of detail in her Mad Hatter inspired costume:
I had made the Gaga inspired hat a few years ago. Those were our colour choices for this ensemble. What started out as a white oxford shirt got dyed Pretty Ink Pink with Stampin' Up! reinker (WHO'D A THUNK IT! lol!) I poured a half a bottle in a bowl full of cold water and soaked the shirt in it. I added some Calypso Coral to make it a deeper colours as I had no Melon Mambo (which would have been PERFECT!) but it was more light pink and we made it work ;) I do NOT sew, but I stitched a few darts in the back to make this small ladies top fit my junior youth more snuggly. I then found some fabric flowers and glued them along the button holes and cut 1/3 of the sleeves off, stitched them up and added some black lace. Then we added some ghastly make up and some trinkets we found with the gloves and leggings at Claires in the mall :) If you look closely, that's even Silver Dazzling Details swirled on the corner of her eyes ;) lol



Bella was easier. A kitty. She just wanted to be a kitty. But not ANY kitty- no, kitty soft paws. But not the Killy Softpaws from the Dreamworks franchise, the kitty softpaws who belongs to our neighbours and her best friend-lol. Do you know how hard it is to find a cat costume for someone who isn't a toddler? Hard- that's how hard! lol. So we bought a black shirt, white mittens, cat makeup and ears/tail combo. She's  a pretty kitty if I do say so myself!
Then there was my little mister! He wanted to be Lloyd Garmadon, the green ninja off of Ninjago (such a cute series! I don't think I'll ever out grow cartoons- lol!) And I didn't know where to buy one- so before I went costume shopping, a friend had posted costumes she made for her boys. They wanted to be lego characters and she used a cardboard box and created the look. Now, hers were AWESOME and she even used old helmets and duct tape and created lego heads, which I wasn't able to do :(, but I found the tutorial on line and bought a big box from Home Depot and cut out the pieces. Used duct tape to tape them together and spray painted them green.I used a black sharpie and white paint to detail it- and then some Basic Grey cut into a long hexagon for his belt.
My Thomas the Train obsessed toddler had his brother's old Thomas costume from when Gabe was obsessed with Thomas! I did get Mat a James costume as that's HIS favourite- but he went as Thomas last night. It was so cold and snowy up here in Northern Alberta that all these costumes were stuffed over winter jackets, toques and mitts- and this little guy only went down the street to grandmas. This photo wasn't even Halloween- lol. I only put his costume on over his suit :P But at least I got a good one of him in his costume for pictures :)









NOW putting my crafty skills to work for paper crafting Halloween fun- I used Stampin' Up!'s Stocking Bigz die to create witches boots. I wanted this die since last year, but didn't get it til now. I made a beautiful Christmas stocking (will show later! lol) and then I wondered what to do with it for Halloween- how to make it witchy.... WELL someone else on the SU! team had the same idea and created a wonderful tutorial that I picked up and tried out. I made 2 on each side and put a 2.5.2.5x4 inch box between them to make a cutsie container:
I used a variety of products that I had laying around in my sewing notions draw from old rick rack and lace to ribbon sliders- but most everything else is Stampin' Up! I had the Confetti stamp set that I stamped randomly on the bottom of the one boot in Versamark and embossed silver. Before that I used my Stampin' Around wheel to stamp black swirls on the Basic Grey boot and high lighted it with Melon Mambo and Rich Razzleberry strips of inked cardstock and DSP. I LOVED the Pumpkin Pie and Basic Black boot! I used the 1/2 Basic Grey stripped satin ribbon and a ribbon slider to create an old school buckle, my Spiderweb embossing folder and Basic Rhinestones for a bit of bling :) I created tags using the retired batty for you and filled the boots with cake pops that didn't quite make it to the kids' Halloween school parties :( (I have GOT to start giving myself more time!)
Another witches boot! Didn't turn out quite like I hoped- it was Basic Black- but when I embossed it with the Stripped embossing folder and dabbed shimmer paint on it, it turned a silvery grey. Ah well :) It was well received!
 A few more pics of the boots by themselves :) A good thing I didn't send the cake pops though! I found out one little guy has a nut allergy in my son's class- and the pumpkin pops used nutmeg- which I heard isn't good for someone with a nut allergy. Better safe than sorry! Gunna try the pops again for Christmas ;) This time Chocolate and Peppermint :) Stay tuned for Christmas goodies during the coming weeks!

Thanks for stopping by!
~Brandie~

2 comments:

Gail said...

I just saw your post on Facebook in the Stampin Up Addicts!
Gorgeous boots!
Awesome costumes for your kids!
and HEY from another Northern Albertan! I'm in Manning!

Brandie said...

Sweet! I'm from Grande Prairie :) Thanks for stopping by :) I appreciate your comment.