Monday, March 2, 2009

I'm not Dead

Remember back when when I said I was a horrible blogger? Yea- it's really true. It's been two whole months and not that I have been that busy- it's just that I've been busy enough to not blog or to do many projects. Christmas is usually pretty hectic and last minute for me- so taking time off before the new holidays in crucial. I have valentine's, baby stuff and birthday all coming my way. PLUS? I am bound and determined to make enough stuff to work the farmer's market in the end of May- so yea. Busy busy busy.
Valentine's is long gone and past- so I wont worry about that- but I DO have a fun project for anybody who ever stumbles upon this thing- especially now that I am actually here :) I had a friend who just had a beautiful baby boy a little over a week ago. It's her first son, but her third child and I don't know what all she has planned for the baby shower or even if she'll have one (we Canadians tend to have them after the baby is born so we can buy accordingly- I have a friend who lived in the U.S. for a while and everyone she told that too thought it was weeeeeeeeeeeeird!) SO to prepare I made her this little gift:
The box is 8x5 with 1.25 inch sides. I used accetate (thank you for the wonderful hint on just using projector sheets for that! I forget where I read that- but I didn't know that so I bought a pack of 100 sheets for 20 bucks at Staples! NICE!) and I made the lid 8 2/16 x 5 2/16 (for wiggle room) with 1 inch sides. To punch it up, I cut a 2.5 inch of cardstock with a scalloped edge and decorated it with scalloped squares, stamps, ink and lables. This set comes with 10 Thank You cards and 10 Blank baby announcments. To divide the card sets I just added a dividing wall. It's really easy- but hard to explain- as I am NOT an explainer- I'm a show-er. What I did here is take a peice of cardstock 5 inches by 2.5 inches and scored in the middle and .5 at each side. I folded it in half, folded the .5 sides up and glued the sides together, leaving the edges up and then putting stick strip on the little .5 edges and gluing them down to the box itself. If you followed that- congrats to you. If you didn't- I am so sorry- bad directions- but I have no clue how to explain them better than that :( Make sure your divider is a tad smaller than the depth of your box tho- I made that mistake and the lid didn't sit as snug as it could.
So here are the cards inside:
So here are the thank you cards- yea- I am aware the squares are a bit wonky- I will work on that when I am actually selling them and I didn't know they were this bad til I saw this photo. BUT these were fun to make :) I used my New Arrival Cartridge to make the animals and decided to punch them up with stickles. Here's a hint I learned online- use a toothpick to get fine details with your stickles :) Another hint? I made ten of these and put them in the box- well, I used dimennsionals behind the squares and sheer ribbon with a knot across the top of the card- really pretty- BUT I had to squish and tie tight nine of the cards, used one for disply purposes in the box and couldn't fit the cards AND the envies in the box. So yea- don't make you're stuff too bulky unless you make the box larger- but you'd need a larger sheet of cardstock than the typical 8.5x11. And how do you all make your envies? I make my own- but use cardstock and that's pretty thick- so I dunno. ANYWAYS! I wanted to keep the theme throughout the set, so here's the annoucnements:

The cartridge is awesome cuz it comes with six little animals. they are inchies- so I think they came out pretty cute- but if you make them larger (or have a steadier hand than I do) you could always do stitching detail to make them more stuffed animal like. Also- you can use these for girls and switch the colours- or if you have the New Arrival cartridge, they have cutsie girlie dies or for a boy they have planes, trains and automobiles :) The font used for these is Quiggly Wiggly and I topped it all off with some stickle details. Set 'em in your box, finish with a ribbon and viola! Cute, quick and fun baby gift :)
So that's my fun project- I am hoping to be a better blogger, especially with all the projects I got on the go- but no promises- take care!

No comments: